Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Maryland Death Fest


A little more than a week ago I made the three hour(give or take) trek down to Baltimore for what is known as "America's biggest metal party of the year". What I speak of is of course Maryland Death Fest. This was the tenth time they've done this festival, which brings metal bands and fans to converge on the city en masse. Everyone from big names such as Morbid Angel, Electric Wizard, and Saint Vitus to obscure bands like Pentagram(Chile), The Devil's Blood, and Dragged Into Sunlight were on the bill. Though it was my first year, many people I talked to were of the opinion that this year was the best. A lot of friends from all over were there, and I got to hang out with and meet a bunch of cool people. I had an absolute blast!

Return To The Pit got a great shot of me(white shirt) in the front row for Saint Vitus

Many of the bands that played over the course of the weekend were on my bucket list of sorts. Some of these bands I never thought I would get to see, as they had been broken up for years or had never played on US soil before. Others were seen by my eyes and heard by my ears long before MDF, but those bands were as good as ever.

Artillery played their first US show 
   
Pentagram also played their first show in America. Viva Metal Chileno!

Aside from seeing some great bands and hanging out with a group of really cool people, there were tons of vendors set up selling all kinds of shit. Inside, outside, in the parking lot(bootleggers), and everywhere in between a MDF patron with some cash, or in some places credit card, to blow could buy a ton of shit. Shirts, hoodies, CDs, tapes, records, dvds, and more were abundant and most at good prices! I couldn't help but by some records.

Just a small portion of the merch area
So, you believe in a blood sucking dog?

You believe in dead people walking around?


Saint Vitus was on my favorite bands of the fest, and I managed to score three of their records. The above is"The Walking Dead" EP reissue from SST Records. Originally released in 1985 as a precursor to the band's second album, this EP features one epic doom song, a shorter doomy piece, and the Black Flag like "White Stallions". A great release, I just wish SST didn't mess up the order on this pressing.When the needle drops though, it still sounds incredible.




Next is the band's 1985 sophomore album, "Hallows Victim". A hugely influential doom album, this is one of Saint Vitus's better efforts. With classics like "War Is Our Destiny", "Mystic Lady", and of course the supremely awesome "White Stallions" it is hard to go wrong. This is also a SST reissue, but without errors and it sounds great.


These old guys could still kick my ass


My last Vitus purchase was their reunion album, "Lillie: F65". Released earlier this year, this album was the first by the band in 15 years. Additionally, the reunited band saw Wino return on vocals for the first time on a studio album since "V" in 1989. "Lillie: F65" is a classic Vitus album in every sense of the word. The tracks from this one that made it into their live set fit in perfectly with all the old songs. Easily a contender for my top 10 at the end of the year. This pressing is on the French label, Season Of Mist, and is very well done.

  
They crushed us live as well
"Retrospective Of Chilean Metal" for my Spanish challenged readers

The last of my MDF purchases is one that I've been looking for for years. The German label, Iron Bonehead, put out this spectacular compilation called "Retrospectiva Al Metal Chileno" in 2009.  The goal of compiling all these obscure bands from a country at the bottom of the world was to shine a light on what was an incredible thrash/death/black metal scene in 80's. I'm so happy they've done this, because many of these recordings might have gone undiscovered without this compilation.


There are some really great pieces of 80s metal here. My personal favorites are Necrosis, Massacre, and Cancerbero. The packaging and presentation is really great too, a lot of work went into this. The insert has each band's classic logo as well as short biographies. The cover and foldout have great artwork that feature lots of photos as well as other relics.  





One disappointment was the fact that I was not able to pickup one of the new Relapse reissues of Morbid Saint's only album, "Spectrum Of Death". They had sold out of it by the time I tried to get one, but I did order it from their website. And I did nearly break my neck during their live set.

They played "Spectrum Of Death" in its entirety


And I'll finish off this post with another gem I bought at MDF, just not a record. This is Pentagram's (Chile) classic logo from their 7" released in 80s on a really cool shirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment