Sunday, April 22, 2012

Record Store 2012 Recap

 

One day every year, well actually two days now, I get up early but not for work. The day is always a Saturday, and invariably I've been out the night before and get very little sleep. The alarm goes off and the last thing I want to do is get out of bed, but that is just what happens. After a short drive to The Record Store hours before they open, I stand on line with other like minded people. We wait for the owner of the store to show up and let us in and we all talk music, records, and anything else people can think to discuss at 8am. 

Yesterday was that day, which I'm sure you've figured out by now is known as Record Store Day. This special holiday of sorts was conceived in 2007 by Chris Brown, who worked in a record store, to celebrate independently owned record stores. This celebration has taken place annually for 5 years now, with the special black Friday releases debuting a few years ago as well. A ton of special limited releases come out, some as few 100 pressed, some stores have live shows, some stores give away free stuff, but it's all about celebrating record stores. These places are unique, a store where you can get physical music(which is sadly becoming more rare every day) and hang out with people who are just as nerdy about music as you are. To me at least, that's something really special. 

Anyway let's get on with my scores from yesterday. I called The Record Store on Friday to ask what they got in, and unfortunately a few of the releases I wanted they didn't get, notably the Mastodon/Feist split. This is to be expected though, the releases are very limited and stores across the country(and beyond) order them. The staff did tell me that a few of the records I wanted they only got 1 copy in. I ended up being about 8th on line at 8am, the first person was there at 6:30! An hour and a half or so(and a hundred bucks!) later I walked away with almost everything I wanted.

Much nicer looking than Ben Franklin


 First up is Metallica's 12" EP, "Beyond Magnetic". This was released last year first on iTunes(aka where stupid people pay for digital downloads) then on cd, but no proper wax version existed until yesterday. As the name implies, these songs were recorded during the sessions for 2008's "Death Magnetic" but didn't quite make it. I didn't love that album, but it had some solid songs and was a pretty good effort. These songs are just about on par with that album. If it hadn't been right in front of me and a limited release I probably wouldn't have bought it. That said, pretty good stuff.  

The vinyl mastering is actually pretty good, much less brick walled than the digital version
They try so hard to look bad ass

The record came with this sticker...cool I guess

Nice silver color on a thick sturdy wax
   

Next we have Snapcase's best album, 1997's "Progression Through Unlearning". I love this band's first two albums, the really captured that magic of the mid-late 90s scene that fell somewhere between hardcore and post hardcore. There is enough melody to make this completely listenable, yet enough energy and aggression to give it that hardcore edge. Really good stuff. 

This reissue is limited to just 900 copies


The store told me on Friday that they only got one copy of this record, which is more than I thought they would actually. A number of the Record Store Day releases this year were "regional" and many stores had no access to them at all, this was one of those. Being 8th into the store I assumed this would be gone, but imagine my excitement when I saw it sitting on the shelf untouched! The record was in my hands before any thought could be given.




Did you say something about my hair?!

Another record that few were pressed(mine is 2066/2500), and only one was in store was this gorgeous picture disc of Rainbow's classic 1978 album, "Long Live Rock N Roll". I was sure this would be gone by the time I got into the store, as the anticipation for this one has been building for awhile. On last year's list of Record Store Day items you can find "Rainbow-Long Live Rock N Roll-12" Picture Disc", but for whatever reason it was not released until this year. I've been looking for it for a whole year now! The conversation I had with the owner went like this: "Is there anything in particular you're looking for?", "That Rainbow picture disc has to be gone right?", "No! I'm shocked it's still here". He grabbed it and handed it to me, but I'm not sure if the big smile on face was real or just how I felt inside. 

Dio's last album with the band before going to Black Sabbath

On to the 7"s...

Love that chest hair
 This is a new single from Ozzy, but the songs and the recordings are older than me. The A side is "Believer" recorded during "Diary of a Madman" tour. This is when Ozzy was at the top of his game in all respects. His vocals were better than they ever had been in Black Sabbath, his song writing was fresh and exciting, and of course he had Randy Rhoads shredding next to him. The performance is great, and it's cool to hear it and imagine what it might have been like to see this legendary lineup. 


Mine is 1913/4400
 As far as I know this single is taken from the live album that was released yesterday as well, which is all from the Randy Rhoads era. I didn't buy that because it wasn't limited and will have a full production run later. The B side is "Goodbye To Romance" from "Blizzard of Ozz" but with a 2010 guitar and vocal mix. The mix is interesting, it strips the song down to really just Ozzy and Randy raw. I might even like this mix better than the album version.

Polka Dot picture disc to represent Roads' iconic flying v


A series of 7" splits that have been coming out on record store day for a few years is the Side By Side, that features an original recording on side A and a cover on side B. I personally love this idea, as many covers can be truly appreciated when compared to the original. The above entry is the Flaming Lips song "A Spoonful Weighs A Ton" from their 1999 album, "The Soft Bulletin". Its a weird keyboard driven, airy experimental song; which is interesting to have covered by a prog metal band like Mastodon. The cover is quite good, and definitely unique as most of the synth parts are played by distorted guitars.



 
Here is another Side By Side which features one of the dirtiest, rawest, and most awesome rock bands ever MC5; and a 80s rapper? Yes. MC5's landmark "Kick Out The Jams" from their 1969 debut of the same nameis side A. If you haven't heard this song you must! For 67 this is so heavy and abrasive, metal and punk owe a great deal to this. Side B is Afrika Bambaataa's strange cover of the song from his 1986 album, "Beware (The Funk Is Everywhere)", complete with the cheesy 80s guitar and awkward rapping. The pairing is hilariously awesome. 



And finally one of the absolute coolest in this series to date is "Respect". The A side is Otis Redding's original of the song that would go on to be the signature for Aretha Franklin, who's cover is the B side. Redding's version is just so soulful and emotional, quite different when compared to Franklin's powerhouse vocals. Both versions are incredible and landmarks of R&B. The great shame is that Otis Redding died at the very young age of 26 in plane crash in 1967, he was a rising star at the time and would have gone on to even greater things. I see this record getting a lot of spins from me in the future. 

All in all record store day 2012 did not disappoint. I had a great time at a great store, and got some really cool records.  

No comments:

Post a Comment